FAQ (Frequently asked questions)



When is a certification by the Consular Department at a foreign embassy required


Certification at a foreign embassy is made only after your documents for use abroad have already been translated and legalized. Usually, it is necessary only due to a specific requirement of the foreign authorities, in order to prove the authenticity of the translated documents. The certification at a foreign embassy is also required, when you make a translation and legalization in Bulgaria of a photocopy of an acquired abroad document, e.g. if you want to legalize locally your Hungarian certificate of birth.

When do you need a translation of your documents


You need a translation of your documents from Bulgarian to a foreign language in the following cases: when you apply for employment or education (training) abroad, when you intend to get married outside of Bulgaria, when you need to certify certain personal circumstances and data before foreign authorities, etc. On the other hand, you need a translation of your documents from a foreign to Bulgarian language, when: you need to prove acquired abroad educational degrees, you want to get married to a foreign citizen, you need to certify before the Bulgarian authorities certain personal circumstances and data, which have occurred while abroad, etc.

Why do the translation and legalization have to be performed by a licensed agency?


The translation and legalization must be performed by a licensed agency, because it has at its disposal approved and registered at the Consular Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs sworn translators and has a valid contract with the Consular Department for legalization of documents. Only a licensed agency can legally process your documents.

What is the difference between a legal (official) translation and a legalized translation?


A legal (official) translation is one performed by a sworn translator on a letterhead of a licensed translation agency, which bears his signature and the stamp of the agency. A legalized translation is one, which, in addition to the above, is certified by the respective state institutions and is legalized by the Consular Department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as the last authority.

Is it necessary to pay in advance for a translation and legalization of documents?

It is preferable to pay for the legalization fully in advance and for the translation itself only partially. If you become our regular customer, the necessity to pay in advance would likely become obsolete.

Why are the prices for translation services different?

There are no uniform prices for translation and legalization. The prices for the translation services vary depending on the agency, which performs the translation, and vary depending on the difficulty of the language, to or from which the translation is made, as well as on the required urgency of the translation. The prices, however, do not always determine the quality and rapidity of the services. In certain cases, the translators themselves place certain requirements on their payment, especially when the question concerns a language, which is rarely known.

What are the regulations for legalization of documents in the Republic of Bulgaria?

For details, see the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Tariff No. 3 for the fees, which are collected for consular services within the system of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in accordance with the provisions of the State taxes Act (approved by Decree of the Council of Ministers No. 49 dated 04.04.2000, published in State Gazette No. 30 dated 11.04.2000, enforced since 11.04.2000, modified and amended in No. 52 dated 27.06.2000, enforced since 27.06.2000).

What is the procedure for legalization of documents?

The procedure for the legalization of documents concerns certification at various Bulgarian institutions and depends on the type of the translated document. Unfortunately, for each document there is a specific procedure and it would be impossible to list them all here. If you are interested in a specific issue, do not hesitate to contact us and we will inform you in detail of the required duration and costs for the legalization of your documents.

What are simultaneous and consecutive translations?

These are types of verbal translation, which are used when accompanying people, at business negotiations, conferences, etc. Simultaneous translation is used at multilingual conferences, symposiums and congresses and comprises a verbal translation from a cabin simultaneously with the speaker. Consecutive translation is used mainly during business negotiations or when accompanying someone and means a translation, which follows the words of the speaker, while the latter pauses.

When do you need a legalization of your documents?

You need a legalization of your documents, when during your stay, immigration, work or training abroad, you have to certify various personal circumstances and/or data before the authorities of that respective country. The legalization of your documents is also required, when you want to make valid in Bulgaria a document for acquired abroad educational degree, or to certify before the Bulgarian authorities a marriage, the birth of a child, a divorce, or various other occurred abroad circumstances.

Is it possible to deliver the translated and legalized documents abroad?

Yes! It would be sufficient for you to leave us your address abroad, and we will send you the ready documents quickly and reliably. The fee for the postal expenses will be included in your bill for the translation and legalization.

What is required from you for the translation and legalization of your documents?

Prior to the translation, you have to explain any and all abbreviations, which could be unknown to the translator, as well as to write down you full name in the same way, as it is spelled in your passport. You will have to have acquired all the prerequisites for the legalization of the respective document.